While Sonoma is known for its world-class vineyards, this Northern California town is also an ideal spot for those looking to spend time outdoors. Explore the scenery on a bike tour or enjoy a horseback ride. The possibilities are endless, especially when you stay at El Dorado Hotel & Kitchen. Our downtown hotel puts you close to all the outdoor adventures you could ever want, including some of the best hiking Sonoma has to offer.
A Checklist of Top Sonoma Hiking Trails
Whether you’re looking for an all-day outing or a quick and easy hike, the variety of trails found throughout Sonoma means there is something that fits your needs.
- Take in the breathtaking views at the end of the Sonoma Overlook Trail. The roughly 2.5-mile out and back trail includes a 400-foot climb up the hill, but the scenery at the top makes it worth it.
- Make your way to Bartholomew Park to hike the 2.4-mile Grape Stomp trail. Enjoy colorful wildflowers, acres of grapevines, and tranquil ponds as you work your way through this loop course.
- Visit Hood Mountain Regional Park and Open Space Preserve in Santa Rosa for challenging hikes. There are more than 19 miles of trails to explore, including one leading to the Gunsight Rock outcropping, which offers Sonoma Valley views and beyond.
- Jack London State Historic Park is home to miles of trails for you to explore. Check out over 29 miles of back-country trails that take you through redwood groves and grassy meadows. There are also two historic trails featuring the Wolf House.
- Located in nearby Petaluma, West Ridge Trail inside Tolay Lake Regional Park is an 8.2-mile trail great for those looking for a bit of a challenge. This path reaches Tolay Creek and provides views of San Pablo Bay, Petaluma River Valley, and Tolay Valley.
Our front desk staff can provide you with further recommendations on additional hiking trails.
Enjoy a Relaxing Escape to Sonoma
After a day spent checking out the best hiking spots in Sonoma, relax and unwind back at El Dorado Hotel & Kitchen. Found in the heart of the historic downtown square, our hotel not only puts you near top activities and attractions but also provides you with a tranquil place to call home.
As a boutique hotel, you’ll enjoy smaller crowds than at larger hotels without sacrificing any of the amenities. Each room is the perfect mix of luxury and comfort and features private balconies. Go for a swim in the solar-heated pool or grab something to eat at our world-class restaurants, El Dorado Kitchen and El Dorado Cantina. For more information about reserving your stay or how to save on it, call 707-996-3030.